Job opening: Policy and Research Manager
People for Education is seeking a Policy and Research Manager. This is a new position in the organization. Working closely with the Research Program Director, the Policy and Research Manager will play a key role in developing People for Education’s policy strategy and engage with a range of partners, including senior public servants, academics, education leaders, and funders. The right candidate will have the capacity to think in an integrated way about research, engagement, and public policy, as well as a deep commitment to public education and positive social change.
This is a permanent position, based in our Toronto office.
- Analyze policy issues relevant to PFE’s research areas, including the ‘new basics’, the Annual Ontario School Survey, and the right to education
- Forge partnerships with a range of research and policy experts, institutions, and other stakeholders to further leverage knowledge generation activities
- Participate actively in setting PFE’s direction and focus in the area of public policy
- Support the implementation of PFE’s policy agenda, develop strategies, and negotiate solutions for policy issues that are relevant to public education
- Research, monitor, analyze, and respond to federal, provincial, and municipal issues that affect public education
- Draft policy briefings and position papers
Skills and experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a diverse audience
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Supervisory skills and capacity to lead consultants or research assistants as required
- Ability to multitask and work without supervision
- Good judgment and the capacity to work independently and make decisions in a timely manner
- Capacity to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small team in a non-profit environment
- Ability to travel as required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a policy role
- Master’s degree in relevant field or equivalent in working experience
- Experience leading policy consultations that include diverse stakeholders
- Experience working with youth in policy or research development
- Knowledge of Indigenous education
- Experience working at the provincial or national level
- Fluency in French is an asset
People for Education is committed to employment equity.
Salary range: $55,000-$65,000
Upon successful completion of a six-month probationary contract, a permanent contract will be offered.
Applications should include a letter explaining your interest and fit, and your understanding of our work, as well as a CV and at least two writing samples.
Please send your application with the subject line “Policy and Research Manager”, bundled as a single PDF to: [email protected]
Closing date: May 24, 2019