We are recruiting new members for our Board of Directors. Apply now to help extend our influence and voice as the champion of public education in Ontario and throughout the country.
We're looking for new board members
Apply to join our Board of Directors
With over 20 years of providing solid evidence to support and strengthen our public education system, People for Education is looking to expand its Board of Directors, to help extend its influence and voice as the champion of public education in Ontario and throughout the country.
Based in Toronto, Ontario, People for Education’s mission is to strengthen a universal public education system that graduates all young people with the skills and competencies they need to contribute to a fair and prosperous society, and to live happy, healthy, economically secure, civically engaged lives. This mission supports our vision of a strong, equitable and prosperous Canada where universal public education fulfills its role as a cornerstone of our society.
Our organization has consistently tackled the most challenging issues in public education. We are seeking individuals who share our passion and belief that our public education system can be a global leader in helping shape the purpose, value and future of universal public education, through the provision of evidence and research to advance public education’s promise, and to ensure that all young people have an equitable chance for long-term success.
About the Board
We are an active and engaged group that aims to bring a diversity of talent to support this important organization. We provide expertise and insight through a variety of disciplines including legal, finance, marketing, business consulting, and not-for-profit. Our focus as Board Members is to:
- be guardians of the long-term vision and mission of People for Education
- establish the strategic direction of the organization
- Actively contribute expertise and guidance about the organization’s policy direction, personnel policy, and fundraising strategy
- ensure accountability and legal responsibility for the organization
- Ensure the long-term financial viability of the organization
- Hire, counsel, and evaluate the performance of the Executive Director
- Approve the budget and monitor the financial state of the organization
- Support our funders and financial contributors
- Attend board meetings (approximately 6 per year)
- Participate on at least one board committee (there are currently four)
- Promote and advance the interests of People for Education in the broader community
- Share your networks and facilitate meetings aimed at advancing the objectives of People for Education
- Attend and actively support fundraising functions and fundraising activities according to their individual capacity, including strengthening our future as an organization through access to diverse communities of funding
- Provide advice and assistance to the Executive Director and staff of People for Education when requested
The term of office for a board member is three years. Terms are renewable with a nine-year maximum. The board meets approximately 5-6 times per year in our office, located in Toronto. For members living outside of Toronto, most of the meetings can be attended by conference call, but at least one meeting a year must be in person, with People for Education covering any costs for attending. We also strongly encourage our Board members to participate in our annual fundraising events.
We are actively seeking diversity in voices and opinions for our Board, and strongly encourage people of varying race, indigenous backgrounds, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, age, language and geographic location, to apply. We strongly believe that public education is stronger when a diverse set of voices supports its potential. Skills/assets might also include experience in marketing, fundraising, communications, law, and information technology.
Applying to the Board
- Copy of your CV or link to your Linked In Profile
- A brief email or cover letter expressing your interest and highlighting specific skills, interests and experience you would bring to the Board highlighting what diverse perspectives you may bring to the conversation about our public education
This posting will remain open to May 17, 2019. We will respond to all applications shortly thereafter. We look forward to hearing from you.